Friday, September 26, 2008

Of Voltaire and Corruption

Well, lest I re-read my previous entry at some later point and think that my Senate experience wasn't good for anything but hair pulling, let me record a pair of truly amusing moments.

The first was when Senate President Pro-Tem Jinggoy Estrada paraphrased Voltaire during the session. Now, I know that contrary to what many may think, Jinggoy is a smart cookie, but I just found the sight of him actually breaking out of his neutral stance (as is proper for a Speaker) to quote a Philosopher (though not one beloved in my alma mater) distinctly amusing.

The second instance was during one of Senator Lacson's many speeches, which I shall paraphrase below with my (mental) comments:

Senator Lacson: "This is one fight I will not run away from. Just as I have not run away from any other fight."

Mental Me: (If you've never run from any fight before, what's the point in singling out this one?)

Senator Lacson: "I fought corruption even as the head of the PNP..."

Mental Me: (Yeah? And how did that go?)

No comments: